Share |

Thread: So what about FlipPac

So what about FlipPac

Since they seem to be the one of the original manufactures of the FlipPac campers anybody have any feed back on there products?

http://www.flippac.com/

Name:  0911_Truck_FlipPac_Up_in_Snow_Small-406x322.jpg
Views: 7863
Size:  23.8 KB
    Name:  fp14-232x173.jpg
Views: 6520
Size:  8.8 KB
    Name:  fp1-232x125.jpg
Views: 6278
Size:  8.2 KB
    Chris
    2007 Jeep JK Rubicon Unlimited 4-door 5" lift on 37's
    2000 Land Rover Disco II 2" lift on 265-70-R18s

Real Name
    J. Brandon
    I like the FlipPac. It's a sweet solution. I know several guys that have them and are really happy with the product.

I have heard that FlipPac as a company can be a challenge to work with and even tough to buy from. It seems they are in the business almost reluctantly. I have no first-hand knowledge of this but have heard it from multiple buyers.

The guys at AT Overland Equipment are great to work with and will build you a FlipPac to your specifications, plus outfit it any way you want it:

http://www.adventuretrailers.com/flippac.html
    -J. Brandon (yup, it's just J.)
    Treat others as you would like to be treated
    www.americansahara.com

Real Name
    Denis
    They are nice, but very pricey ($4000-$5000 last i checked?). I'd rather have a trailer with a rooftop tent on it. That way it's easily de-coupled from the rig it's being towed with, and I could use it with the Titan or the Jeep, depending on the trip.
    1998 Toyota 4Runner
    2005 Ford F350

Quote Originally Posted by jcbrandon View Post
    I like the FlipPac. It's a sweet solution. I know several guys that have them and are really happy with the product.

I have heard that FlipPac as a company can be a challenge to work with and even tough to buy from. It seems they are in the business almost reluctantly. I have no first-hand knowledge of this but have heard it from multiple buyers.

The guys at AT Overland Equipment are great to work with and will build you a FlipPac to your specifications, plus outfit it any way you want it:

http://www.adventuretrailers.com/flippac.html
    Don't they just job out the products from other Manufacturer, that already build them and just relabel them like the Socal Teardrop they buy?

Quote Originally Posted by TroubleShooter View Post
    They are nice, but very pricey ($4000-$5000 last i checked?). I'd rather have a trailer with a rooftop tent on it. That way it's easily de-coupled from the rig it's being towed with, and I could use it with the Titan or the Jeep, depending on the trip.
    Yes I agree on the Base Camp, but sometimes bringing a trailer is not a option too..
    Chris

Real Name
    J. Brandon
    Chris, I can't answer specifically about how much work AT puts into a unit after they buy it from the manufacturer as I haven't gone through the ordering process. I have heard that getting any kind of pre-sale service from the manufacturer is a big hassle. And I know that AT is known for great customer service. Their website says their version of the FlipPac is made with thicker fiberglass. I think the biggest advantage they offer is the ability to outfit the thing the way you want it. They're real good at integrating water, power, and lighting systems, for example.

And I agree with TroubleShooter about the price and the limitations. I think compared to a standard camper shell it's a lot of money. Compared to other roomy camping options it is fairly reasonable. And after traveling with a lot of guys whose camp is attached to their vehicle, I'm less attracted to that option. I like to be able to head out for a day's expoloring without having to break down my camp. I also need a multi-purpose vehicle and I'm getting tired of the time it takes me to set up a camp based around a big ground tent. So I'm leaning toward a trailer with a tent mounted on it.

There's no one single solution for everybody, or even a set up that works for one guy on every trip. That's the beauty of a forum like this, learning from what others have tried. It's even better to spend time in the field with very different vehicle setups. That's where I've learned the most.
    www.americansahara.com

Real Name
    Harry Wagner
    Most of the trips I take move to different spots each day, so I think that the Flip Pac would be preferable to having a trailer that you leave at a "base camp" in this instance. I like the Flip Pac, I think that it fills the gap between a normal camper shell and a full camper quite nicely.
    Harry Situations
    Harry Wagner
    Freelance 4WD Writing & Photography
    Vehicle Features, Tech, & Trail Reports

Chris, I can't answer specifically about how much work AT puts into a unit after they buy it from the manufacturer as I haven't gone through the ordering process. I have heard that getting any kind of pre-sale service from the manufacturer is a big hassle. And I know that AT is known for great customer service. Their website says their version of the FlipPac is made with thicker fiberglass. I think the biggest advantage they offer is the ability to outfit the thing the way you want it. They're real good at integrating water, power, and lighting systems, for example.
    I have head that they are basically making a improved version with joint effort with different company's so all involved could design well engineered product. I have called Flip-pack, and yes they are very hard to get a hold of. It took my almost 10 calls to finally talk to the owner about becoming a dealer.
    Chris

Real Name
    Denis
    And I agree with TroubleShooter about the price and the limitations. I think compared to a standard camper shell it's a lot of money. Compared to other roomy camping options it is fairly reasonable.
    You can get a rooftop tent and a standard campershell for any truck (even cheaper if used from Craigslist) and have under $2000 in the whole set up.
    1998 Toyota 4Runner
    2005 Ford F350

Real Name
    J. Brandon
    Agreed. And that's a pretty sweet route to go.
    My criteria for a roomy camping set up includes the ability to stand up when I put my pants on. Crossing that threshold is a game changer.
    www.americansahara.com

Real Name
    Harry Wagner
    You can get a rooftop tent and a standard campershell for any truck (even cheaper if used from Craigslist) and have under $2000 in the whole set up.
    Using what for a tent???
    Harry Situations
    Harry Wagner

Real Name
    Denis
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
    Using what for a tent???
    Ok, let's say $3000 then. I was thinking of my scenario where I already have a campershell on my truck, so adding a sub-$2000 rooftop tent is the cheapest vehicle-based sleeping set-up for me.
    1998 Toyota 4Runner
    2005 Ford F350

Ok, let's say $3000 then. I was thinking of my scenario where I already have a campershell on my truck, so adding a sub-$2000 rooftop tent is the cheapest vehicle-based sleeping set-up for me.
    I like the fiberglass bed covers then just mount a tent to that.
    Chris

Real Name
    Mike
    Even cheaper solution for sleeping in a truck is a cheap air mattress laid out in the bed of the truck. Well under $2k. :P

If you like a set base camp a hard side trailer would be a better option IMHO, we did that for years and it worked great. Now days ,like Harry, we tend to move camp every day so a more self contained option is better for us.

As far as price the FP is much cheaper than say a FWC pop-up camper, at the cost of some amenities. It would be fairly easy to add some cabinets and such inside but that is an additional cost in both time and dollars. Hard to tell which would be more economical at the end of the day.

@troubleshooter; An RTT does not offer a space where you can stand to dress or set up a toilet and cooking area the way a Flip Pac does. Wimmens like those things. In the interest of domestic harmony I abandoned the idea of a RTT years ago.

IIRC the AT flipac is made by Flip Pac to AT's specifications
    1975 FJ40, Orion, toy box, ARB lockers, Warn 8274, Metal tech family roll cage and some other stuff
    1984 FJ60, Detroit lockers F&R, custom Dr Smash rear bumper, Aussie Bull Bar front bumper, Warn 9000 winch
    1998 UZJ100, first gen Spressomon sliders, ARB front locker factory rear.
    1999 Mercury Grand Marquise <Sesame Street>One of these things is not like the others........</Sesame Street>

Real Name
    Denis
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_tlc View Post
    @troubleshooter; An RTT does not offer a space where you can stand to dress or set up a toilet and cooking area the way a Flip Pac does.
    Name:  annexe-1.jpg
Views: 7752
Size:  212.7 KBName:  EA_1400-1__95778_zoom.jpg
Views: 8838
Size:  97.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1998 Toyota 4Runner
    2005 Ford F350

I've always dug the flippac. I know a couple people that have them, and love them. That being said, RTT's are great too.. It's all about how versatile your rig needs to be I suppose.
    Scott
    www.heiseroil.com

Heiseroil Motorsports, your #1 source for Amsoil Synthetic Lubricants, Amsteel Blue, Off-Road Trail Tools, A To Z Fabrication, and Quadzilla Diesel Performance. Email or PM me for OverlandHub Discounted pricing!

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Long Bed Diesel, slowly being outfitted for adventure!

Name:  annexe-1.jpg
Views: 7752
Size:  212.7 KBName:  EA_1400-1__95778_zoom.jpg
Views: 8838
Size:  97.1 KB
    Yeah, maybe you and your SO will climb down a ladder in the middle of the night for relief but we're not so hot on that plan.

If you look at interior pictures of the flip pac I think you'll agree a RTT really doesn't compare in terms of room and comfort.
    Last edited by rusty_tlc; October 19th, 2011 at 07:32 PM.
    1975 FJ40, Orion, toy box, ARB lockers, Warn 8274, Metal tech family roll cage and some other stuff
    1984 FJ60, Detroit lockers F&R, custom Dr Smash rear bumper, Aussie Bull Bar front bumper, Warn 9000 winch
    1999 Mercury Grand Marquise <Sesame Street>One of these things is not like the others........</Sesame Street>

Real Name
    Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_tlc View Post
    If you like a set base camp a hard side trailer would be a better option IMHO, we did that for years and it worked great. Now days ,like Harry, we tend to move camp every day so a more self contained option is better for us.

As far as price the FP is much cheaper than say a FWC pop-up camper, at the cost of some amenities. It would be fairly easy to add some cabinets and such inside but that is an additional cost in both time and dollars. Hard to tell which would be more economical at the end of the day.

@troubleshooter; An RTT does not offer a space where you can stand to dress or set up a toilet and cooking area the way a Flip Pac does. Wimmens like those things. In the interest of domestic harmony I abandoned the idea of a RTT years ago.

IIRC the AT flipac is made by Flip Pac to AT's specifications
    I agree a tent trailer is much more ideal for a "base camp" type of outing. I'm not really sure it matters which set up you go with if you are going to be traveling each day. You have to pack camp up either way, trailer or rtt/camper, in that case. I think for me, it still comes down to best use of the functions of my rig. Filling a truck bed with a camper instead of camping cargo or dogs or muddy gear or any number of things just doesn't make sense to me. I'm sure I am probably in the minority in that. Plus I imagine a trailer is easier to move around and store when you don't want to use it.

Real Name
    Harry Wagner
    Quote Originally Posted by Inc View Post
    Filling a truck bed with a camper instead of camping cargo or dogs or muddy gear or any number of things just doesn't make sense to me.
    It is not like you cannot put things in the camper. But then again if you have a camper in the first place you don't need to worry about loading your tent, sleeping bags, stove, and ice chest because that stuff is already handled.
    Harry Situations
    Harry Wagner

Real Name
    Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
    It is not like you cannot put things in the camper. But then again if you have a camper in the first place you don't need to worry about loading your tent, sleeping bags, stove, and ice chest because that stuff is already handled.
    True, but after a week or more in the outdoors things get dirty and I like to keep my living quarters clean. I just have a hard time putting all my dirties inside a nice, clean comfy camper is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Inc View Post
    I agree a tent trailer is much more ideal for a "base camp" type of outing. I'm not really sure it matters which set up you go with if you are going to be traveling each day. You have to pack camp up either way, trailer or rtt/camper, in that case. I think for me, it still comes down to best use of the functions of my rig. Filling a truck bed with a camper instead of camping cargo or dogs or muddy gear or any number of things just doesn't make sense to me. I'm sure I am probably in the minority in that. Plus I imagine a trailer is easier to move around and store when you don't want to use it.
    If you break camp every day set up and break down time is a consideration. The RTT, Flip Pac and FWC pop-up campers all deploy fast and easy, they also break down fast. Setting up a pop-up or hard side trailer takes a bit more time. They are also all low profile and have a low COG compared to a conventional camper, factors to consider when you take off following a faint road into the desert or wherever.

I really like the look of this camper set up.

http://www.ursaminorvehicles.com/jeep.htm

Name:  J30_side_closed.jpg
Views: 6897
Size:  180.6 KBName:  J30_4285.jpg
Views: 6382
Size:  183.6 KBName:  J30_4280.jpg
Views: 10217
Size:  156.1 KB
    Chris

Looks better on a Land Cruiser
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Real Name
    Don
    I love using my TT as a base camp. I have parked my TT and have left it setup while I backpack for a night or two. I have gotten spoiled with the luxury of my TT.
    I enjoy all forms of the outdoors, just love the comforts in my TT. I have looked at buying a Camper Shell with a popup camper, but as others have pointed out it can get spendy.

Edit:
    I love the FlipPac very much! They don't make one for a 5.5' truck bed.
    Last edited by dharris; January 12th, 2012 at 03:54 PM.

FlipPac origins

The original was called a Barr Top, named after its inventor out of San Diego, CA. Prototypes in the 70's were aluminum & wood. Once fiberglass became a viable option it was redesigned, by the original creator. The fiberglass was originally thicker but Six-PAC purchased company, changed name, & made it "more affordable". I wish I could afford one for my 96 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins dually. I've camped in these & they are truly the best for quick, simple moves of camp sites. I've owned pop-up tow behinds, motor-homes, a tow behind trailer, and a toy hauler and this is next on my list (will be the last one I purchase too!).

Quote Originally Posted by dharris View Post
    I love using my TT as a base camp. I have parked my TT and have left it setup while I backpack for a night or two. I have gotten spoiled with the luxury of my TT.
    I enjoy all forms of the outdoors, just love the comforts in my TT. I have looked at buying a Camper Shell with a popup camper, but as others have pointed out it can get spendy.

Edit:
    I love the FlipPac very much! They don't make one for a 5.5' truck bed.