Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Share |

Thread: Starting my 1ton suburban

If you build it like you did mine it will take most anything, I have beat the crap out of that bumper. I drop off a ledge and hear a smack and never even think twice about it now.
    1975 FJ40, Orion, toy box, ARB lockers, Warn 8274, Metal tech family roll cage and some other stuff
    1984 FJ60, Detroit lockers F&R, custom Dr Smash rear bumper, Aussie Bull Bar front bumper, Warn 9000 winch
    1998 UZJ100, first gen Spressomon sliders, ARB front locker factory rear.
    1999 Mercury Grand Marquise <Sesame Street>One of these things is not like the others........</Sesame Street>

heres my paint skillz. so its hard to draw but the sides will be supported by tubing that will go around the sparetire well and connect to the shackle bolt. The skidplate will connect to a piece that will weld to the shackle hanger itself and then back to the crossmember that will also support the hitch. The skidplate is either going to be 1/8 diamond plate or 3/16 aluminum.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Got a little done today, I went a little overboard with the exhaust but I like the detail. I under estimated the bolts that will hold it on there will be 28 total. 10 on the bumper brackets, 8 on the hitch/skidplate crosssmember, and 10 on the side wings.

4. The Following 2 Users Like Dr Smash's Post:

Creature (April 2nd, 2012),TroubleShooter (April 2nd, 2012)

WOW awesome work!!!!
    1993 Toyota Land Cruiser (work in progress)
    2012 Ram 2500 4x4
    1998 Mustang race car
    2008 Yamaha Grizzly

Thanx! Got another license plate bracket for yj jeep for the rear and trimmed the hitch back and did a little welding. Also I have decided that I am not lifting the truck. I will replace all the bushings, replace the rear springs with another stock pair off a 91 , and put not her leaf on the front with 91 shackles that are 3/4" longer, to round it out 2.5 fox remote resivior shocks and aeon hollow springs for bumpstops. As of right now what I could drive 20 mph I can now do 35 easy with no bottoming out and no tire rub with the 33s. When I go with the 315/75/16 gy duratracs I will cut and weld the front fenders. The rear won't need any mods at all.

No swing outs on the bumper?
    1975 FJ40, Orion, toy box, ARB lockers, Warn 8274, Metal tech family roll cage and some other stuff
    1984 FJ60, Detroit lockers F&R, custom Dr Smash rear bumper, Aussie Bull Bar front bumper, Warn 9000 winch
    1999 Mercury Grand Marquise <Sesame Street>One of these things is not like the others........</Sesame Street>

Quote Originally Posted by rusty_tlc View Post
    No swing outs on the bumper?
    it isnt done yet, and I havn't decided what im going to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Smash View Post
    it isnt done yet, and I havn't decided what im going to do.
    Since you have the ambulance doors why not work with that? I love my swing outs but sometimes it's a PITA when you just want to get to something in the back quick.

Real Name
    Denis
    Do what you did with that JK bumper you just built. Have two swing-outs that are attached to each door, and open when you open the doors.
    1998 Toyota 4Runner
    2005 Ford F350

Yes that was my plan, but I want to use a suv tent on the back. The tire will not let the door open far enough as it will interfere with the tent opening. So......... I have been kicking around the idea of a hatch style carrier. It would have a gas strut assist with a locking pin for the up position. It would also have a ladder to access the roof rack it would be connected to.

Cut that hitch back and got the flip up license plate on. Had to make a low profile license plate light with some LED strip and aluminum. I also got all the work done to the hitch crossmember even some extra back up lights with pivoting mounts so adjustment will be a breeze.

few pics. The end caps turned out better than I was expecting.

14. The Following User Likes Dr Smash's Post:

Shamus30 (April 8th, 2012)

Are you slakin or just not posting up pics?

Quote Originally Posted by rusty_tlc View Post
    Are you slakin or just not posting up pics?
    Man I swear give a guy a break sheesh! I did get the aluminum skid plate on the tank and some tow points along with the clinometer. Pfffttt

Heard a rumor you are also working on a big black "Bro-Truck" for somebody you should post up a separate thread just on the crazy arch of those rear springs.

The shackle angle on that truck deserves a thread all its own.

19. The Following User Likes turbobrick's Post:

Shamus30 (April 20th, 2012)

Well havent done much lately. I cut some material for sliders. I have been thinking about the sparetire and its going on the roof along with a monster sized Thule cargo box and a couple of other things. The box makes the most sense to my as its lightweight,lockable,and weathertite. if I put a roof rack up there I would stil have to pack everthing into pastic contaners anyways and have bunch of ratchet straps. I am thinking about a flipover arm that the tire is on and a small hand hand-cranked winch to get the tire up and down from the roof.

Real Name
    Mike
    Well havent done much lately. I cut some material for sliders. I have been thinking about the sparetire and its going on the roof along with a monster sized Thule cargo box and a couple of other things. The box makes the most sense to my as its lightweight,lockable,and weathertite. if I put a roof rack up there I would stil have to pack everthing into pastic contaners anyways and have bunch of ratchet straps. I am thinking about a flipover arm that the tire is on and a small hand hand-cranked winch to get the tire up and down from the roof.
    Wish I had the skills, tools and brain to think up the stuff you do.

22. The Following User Likes Inc's Post:

Dr Smash (May 9th, 2012)

Thanks Mike, I also want to put a 18 gallon solar pressurized shower on the roof.

So no swing outs on the rear bumper?

24hoursofnevada posted pictures of the one he had built for his full size over on Expo;
    http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...92#post1108692

I like a lot of the features, like the fold down table and the propane tank carrier. Something like that with a bike rack would be cool, even just a cargo rack for fire wood or chairs and stuff.

driveway dry run with the tent for fitment and such. Personally I think the quality of some of the parts stink and it might be going back to which it came from.

Real Name
    Mike
    driveway dry run with the tent for fitment and such. Personally I think the quality of some of the parts stink and it might be going back to which it came from.
    I was headed to Hawthorne for the weekend and drove past your shop.
    I only saw the rear of the burb, but the bumper looked CLEAN.
    From a distance, it looked painted, or maybe you took a flap disc to it.

some pics of the altimeter/roll gauge, lisence plate light, skid plate, LED front turn signals

here is some of the Air compressor mounting, removed rear small seat and cooler platform refit, and the removed front jumpseat and center console from a Blazer, and the monster cup holders I made that fit a 2 liter bottle to a 12 oz can

And here is my roofrack arrangement on top of a mockup suburban I have. I think I will have plenty of capacity for storage.